Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sick as a dog

So I've been out sick as a dog for a friggen' week. A week ago Wednesday on my way home from work I call HD up to make sure he grabbed a change of clothes for me as I was meeting him at his dad's house. The 19th was his dad's birthday. He proceeds to tell me he's sick. He's all hot and feeling icky. When we got home we took his temperature and sure enough he was running a fever.

Thursday I felt fine but by Friday I was feeling kind of sinusy and my throat was a little sore. I bought us some Vicks 44 cough and nasal decongestant because he also had a cough to go along with his fever.

Saturday morning I woke up late and decided to take a nice long hot bath in hopes the steam would relieve my sore throat and nasal congestion. It sort of did. Afterward I went downstairs and snuggled up on the couch with some Entertainment Weeklies that I'd fallen behind in. I wasn't sitting there for 5 minutes when I felt really warm all of a sudden. The thermometer was sitting right there so I decided to take my temp. It wasn't much, just 99.7. I had glanced at my watch when I started and it was close to 11:30. A little bit later I felt even more warm so I took it again and this time it was 100.4. Another 5 minutes or so later it was up again and in less than an hours time it had shot up to 101.7. Yep, I was officially sick.

From that time on it didn't go down to normal again until Thursday. On Sunday it got to it's highest which was 102.5 a couple times. But mainly it stuck around 101.5 and went up and down from there. I coughed and coughed and coughed. Saturday I had muscle aches but that was it, no other day but then. So that was it, a shit load of coughing and a fever but I was out. That's all that HD had too.

I called in on Monday and went to see my doctor. She figured it was viral since HD was already starting to get better on his own without doing anything more then just NyQuil and Motrin. Although the Motrin wasn't doing anything for our fevers. But since my work needed reassurance that I wouldn't be spreading anything around she gave me a prescription for antibiotics anyway. Said to take Tuesday off too and as long as I felt better I could go in on Wed. I was her 5 patient that day with same symptoms. There's definitely some kind of bug going around.

By then my fever was down to just one degree over which did make me feel better so I did go in. I was able to last the morning, barely. But at noon I was out of there and soon as I got home I changed clothes and crawled back into bed. I was hoping to be able to go in on Thursday but I still wasn't feeling any better so I called in again.

But by Friday I was finally not coughing quite as much and I wasn't so exhausted anymore. I wasn't sure if I'd make it the whole day but I did. I just took it easy all day and refused to stress over anything so that helped.

I'm still coughing and it's annoying the hell out of me but it is better. I've lost close to 10 pounds because nothing tasted good and also I just had no appetite for anything. Even if something tasted half way decent I could barely eat any of it, I just got full so quickly. Let's hope that little side affect lasts.

Other than checking my Email once on Wed real quick when I was at work and then once on Friday this is the first time I've been on the computer. I've got a lot of catching up to do. But that's gonna have to wait. HD wanted me to wake him up when I got up so I guess I better go get him.

Media quote of the day: Do you have a cough due to cold?- Forrest Gump


Natalie said...

It's been going around like crazy. I can't remember the last time everyone in my office has been in. HOpe you are feeling better

Katrina said...

Thanks. I've been coughing like crazy still today but I do feel better. I think this is the first day that I feel pretty much normal. Now if this coughing would just stop.

Computadores said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is A hug.