Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Weekend Update 2/11-14/11 - with pictures

So Friday was HDT's 40th birthday.  We planned on going out to our favorite Chinese restaurant  by ourselves then maybe doing something after.  Maybe going to see Sixteen Candles, a really fun 80's tribute band, that was playing at a local bar or going to Zanies Comedy Club.  But then those plans changed a little bit.  We still went to the restaurant but Jess came with and afterward we met Jim at our house and had some fun.  Another friend and his girlfriend were supposed to stop by but they never did. 

We played a card game called Oh Hell.  We haven't played that in years and it's so much fun even with just four people.  But when you get a bigger number, say 7-8, it's even more fun.  Jim brought an ice cream cake and I had purchased some custom made M&M's.  I had a fleur-de-lis put on, two linked hearts put on, one saying Happy 40th!! and another that just said his name.  They were blue for him, pink for me and gold for the Saints.  They were good.  The following pictures look like there's 40 candles on there but there aren't.  It's candles spelling out Happy Birthday.  But they're all on the side of the cake closest to me.














After that we watched Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog which I had given to him as a present. All of us but Jess have seen it before and of course she ended sleeping through most of it. She saw enough to know she'd actually enjoy watching the whole thing though. We both absolutely love this blog, show, movie, whatever you wanna call it now that it's on DVD. I plan on trying to get my brothers to stick around after the next UFC to watch it.

I went to bed after it was over with. Not sure when Jim left but Jess slept the night on our couch. HDT didn't come to bed until 5:30/6:00 or so. I got up around 9ish I think it was and let Jess out of the driveway since I was parked behind her. HDT got up around 9:30 or so. And we proceeded to have the most lazy day we've had in a long time. Usually we'll do something like do dishes or some laundry or something in between watching tv all day. But not this time. Other than make something to eat and taking the dog out when needed we sat on our asses watching our dvr'd shows and finally The Blind Side which we've had for a very long time from Netflix. We both liked it quite a bit.

Sunday we got up and I made breakfast - scrambled eggs and bacon (no biscuits this time around) and we watched a little more tv before we had to get ready to head out to go bowling. We made plans to meet up with family at a bowling alley to celebrate his birthday. On Friday when I called the alley to reserve some lanes the lady told me I couldn't, they didn't do adult birthday parties (even though on their website it said they do) she said Sunday was a first come first serve day. So I said we'd like to be there around 2:00 would that be ok and she said yes, again it's a first come first serve. So I thought we were in the clear.

After stopping and getting the 40 candles that he'd have to blow out (he did it to me last year so I was just returning the favor) and three of my nieces we headed on up. We walk in the place and it's packed. I see birthday parties left and right. So I go up to the lanes and look to see if there's any open and I see about 6 or so all the way down at the end. As we're walking up to the counter I'm saying to HDT should we get 2 or 3 lanes and the guy hears me and says they have nothing available, they're all booked until 4:00pm. I was astonished, he said they're booked with 7 birthday parties. I told him I had tried to book one on Friday as was told I couldn't, he came back with saying that's because they had all of these. I told him the girl didn't tell me that. He said they have a first come policy sprinkled amongst the parties and all of those are taken. I told him I had told the girl I'd want to be there around 2:00 and she told me fine. I was so not happy. She could've said they had a ton of parties booked and they'd be really full so I'm really taking my chances. But she gave me no indication of it and then to deny me a party was just bullshit.

So we left of course, there's no way we were going to hang out for 2 hours. The nieces mentioned an alley back in our town but he didn't want to do that. He decided to go to a restaurant that we don't get to very often to have some pizza. We called everyone to let them know where to meet us. And of course everyone had eaten already because it was after 2:00 and they figured they'd be bowling. But everyone had at least a few pieces of pizza and we had some good conversations anyway. His mom, brought a cake and after putting all the candles on you could barely see the decorations on it. But he got them all blown out with one breath.  I didn't take pictures of that, I did a little movie on my iphone.  But since I don't know how to post movies just take a look at the pictures above again and you'll know how that went. 

After that we all went our separate ways, the nieces went home with grandma so we didn't have to worry about them.  We got home and chilled out for the rest of the evening with the babies and watched some tv and Up in the Air, which we've also had forever from Netflix.

Monday being Valentine's Day we didn't thing much differently than normal.  We don't usually do much for it, usually just cards.  Which we did again this year.  I also grabbed us some dinner so neither of had to cook.  We had pretty much gone through all our dvr'd shows that we had any interest in watching at the time so we decided to watch our last Netflix movie to get it out of the house finally.  It was a really romantic one too - The Lovely Bones.  Yeah, not so much.  But it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it could be.  Teared up some but nothing like I expected to.  And we enjoyed it as well.  Don't know what all the poo poo was about it when it came out.  It wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't bad, oh well, whatever.  After that we pretty much headed to bed since we both had to work in the morning.

Media quote of the day:  A Man's Gotta do what a Man's gotta do - Dr. Horrible's Sing along Blog

By the way Dr. Horrible is Neil Patrick Harris, Captain Hammer is Nathan Fillion and Penny is Felicia Day - All absolutely terrific

HORRIBLE
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do
Don’t plan the plan if you can’t follow through
all that matters: taking matters into your own hands
Soon I’ll control everything, my wish is your command

HAMMER
Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammer’s here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do
Seems destiny ends with me saving you
The only doom that’s looming is you loving me to death
So I’ll give you a sec to catch your breath

PENNY (in shock)
Thank you Hammer man, I don’t think I can
Explain how important it was that you stopped the van
I would be splattered I’d be crushed under debris
Thank you sir for saving me

HAMMER
Don’t worry about it…
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do
Seems destiny ends with me saving you
When you’re the best, you can’t rest, what’s the use
There’s ass needs kicking, some ticking bomb to defuse
The only doom that’s looming is you loving me to death

PENNY (overlapping)
You came from above
I wonder what you’re Captain of
My heart is beating like a drum
Must be, must be in shock
Assuming I’m not loving you to death

HAMMER/PENNY
So please give me a sec to catch my breath

HORRIBLE (overlapping)
Are you kidding?
What heist were you watching?
Stop looking at her like that
Did you notice that he threw you in the garbage?
I stopped the van, the remote control was in my hand
Whateeeeever

Balls.....

No comments: