Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow days

So we had a bit of snow the other day. Maybe you heard about it? The Chicago news stations are calling it The Blizzard of 2011. Yep, original.

I was getting a little ticked at the bosses since it started coming down pretty darn good just after 3:00 and they weren't letting us go. They finally did just after 4:00. I backed into my spot in the driveway went inside and didn't come out again until the next morning some time after 10:30 or so. And then just to shovel a decent spot in the yard for Poydras to do his business.

HDT had to go to work for overtime, they were doing three shifts instead of two so needed all hands on deck basically. He originally was to go in at 6:00 but was told not to come in until 10:00. We were hoping he'd get there and they'd tell him he wasn't needed but no such luck. He was there until around 4:00 and then left to go help shovel out his replacement. He was home some time around 5:00.

I got up with him and packed an overnight bag for him on the off chance that he'd be stuck there through to Thursday morning. After he left I decided to be lazy and do a bunch of nothing. I watched some of my recorded shows and a movie. At one point I decided I should quit doing nothing so went out to shovel the sidewalk since the snow had blown onto it after he shoveled out to his jeep. Then I decided I shovel along the passenger side of my car back to the garage. By the time I got there I was exhausted and said fuck it and went back inside to rest. There was no way in hell I was going to tackle the drift on the driver side.





The above two pictures were taking from inside the back door when the snow was still blowing and coming down. The below picture is later after the sun had come out and it warmed up enough that the snow on the Rendezvous fell off on its own.


And it's still there 3 days later. My plan was to go through the passenger door when I had to go to work on Thursday.

During the movie I texted HDT to see if he heard when he'd be able to leave and he came back that 6:00 would be the earliest. But there was still a chance of him having to stay the night. He asked me if I wanted him to walk me through starting the snow blower. I told him not yet, I'd let him know if I decided to do it or not.

I decided with the chance that he wouldn't be coming home at all that I better get out there and do it because without doing it there was no way I'd make it out our driveway. His Jeep bottomed out and my Rendezvous sits lower than the Jeep. He also had to power his way out at the end of the drive, so yeah, I didn't want to take a chance.

So I got out there and had to shovel the snow drift behind the Rendezvous to be able to get into the garage.



The drift that goes up almost halfway. I tried to just shovel that messy part since the blower sits on that side of the garage. But when I tried lifting the door it wouldn't budge so I had to do the rest.



But I got it done and then texted him to ask which gas can was the correct one to use but I remembered it was the yellow one. Got it started and started blowing away. I don't know how long it took me, I wish I knew but I didn't look at the time when I started or stopped. It had to be around an hour though. Oh wait, let me go check my texts. Yep, an hour. I started around 3:15 and was texting HDT w/ a couple pictures by 4:20.


My neighbor across the street, oh wait I mean, by asshole neighbor across the street was blowing his drive as well. I see him blowing towards the street, then see him come into the street to blow the snow out of it and over to my side. I'm thinking he's being nice and is blowing the snow in front of my mailbox away. Because that's exactly what it looks like. He came onto my side about 5 times or so. But by the time I get down there I see that all he did was blow the snow onto the already high pile in front of the box that was left by the snow plows. And of course it was already bad enough from them. I was one pissed off chick let me tell you. Especially since the plow didn't get very close so our mail lady wouldn't be able to even reach the box and then he piles on top of it. PISSED I tell you!

Anyway, I get most of it blown away, she can at least drive up to it now. She'll have to back up a little bit to be able to go forward again to the next box but that's better than having to get out of her Jeep.

Anyway....

I was debating on blowing the front walk to the front door but when I got far enough up the drive to see the front of the house I decided that was just out of the question.



Yep, that snow is still there as well.

After I was done I went straight into a very hot tub to relax the muscles. I was sore and my hands were vibrating from the blower. I soaked until HDT got home just before 5:00 and luckily I haven't been sore since. That soak definitely helped.

We watched some tv, had some dinner and then I went to bed around 11:00 since I knew I'd be going into work on Thursday. I'll save my drive home yesterday with a detour to pick up pizza for dinner for another post.

Media quote of the day:

Let It Snow

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of stopping
And I've bought some corn for popping
The lights are turned way down low
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

When we finally kiss goodnight
How I'll hate going out in the storm!
But if you'll really hold me tight
All the way home I'll be warm

The fire is slowly dying
And, my dear, we're still goodbying
But as long as you love me so
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!


How I wish we had a fireplace to curl up next to after all of that.

No comments: