Thursday, November 9, 2006

Busy week

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Philadelphia
The Northeast
The Midland
The South
Boston
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes



Well, I used to call carbonated drinks pop, until I moved to Louisiana. The land where all carbonated drinks are called Coke. Even if it's a pepsi. It was very confusing for awhile, but once I got the hang of it it was no problem at all. Then, after moving back the first place I worked half the people there lived in Wisconsin where the drinks are called soda and I got in that habit. So now it's mostly soda out of my mouth but coke and pop still come out every now and then.

So this week has been pretty busy for me. Monday while at the employment agency the chick that's helping me asked how I felt about working for the rest of the day. I told her I was game, what did she have in mind. One of the other girls there had been trying to get one of her temp people to go to a one day job but most weren't answering their phone and the others that did said they couldn't go. So I did. Hell, 12 bucks an hour to file some papers, I'll do that. I worked from 11:30 to 4:45. And that is literally all I did for those 5 hours, filed. Then I filed some more. But that was the easiest 60 bucks I think I've ever made. Well, I guess that's not true, working at that asshat of job I had previously there were many a day of doing nothing but surfing the net. But even though all I did was file I at least contributed, I earned my pay. I didn't get home until almost 6 because it took 45 minutes just to make it back into town and then I had to go to the bank before coming home.

Tuesday I was back at the employment agency for Wendi to fax my resume off to some more places and a make a few more calls. Oh yeah, I also took a tutorial on Excel to learn the parts I don't know, which is basically the charts shit. After doing that I retook the test and went from a 73% to 86%. Yep, definitely the charts. I also found it funny that most of the questions on the test weren't covered by the tutorial but because I at least learned where to look and how some of the other things were done I was able to complete some of the questions.

After leaving there I went home, got H Ditty and then we took his little sister who's pregnant to her doctor's appointment. All's good and she's very happy to be having a girl. After those two went to her place of employment so she could cut his hair and I went to Target to get some toilet paper, we were seriously low. Seriously! Then took her back to grandma's where she's staying and then his mom showed up. We ended up not getting home until close to 8, I was starving!

Didn't get into bed until after midnight, didn't fall asleep until close to 1 and then the damn cats started bugging me around 4 to be fed. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep so I called into the employment agency (yes I know, no lectures please) and canceled my appointment. After the scoundrals had been fed (around 6) they left me alone for the most part but I couldn't fall asleep, I'd dose but not sleep. H Ditty got up a little after 8 and after he was out of the bed I slept like a baby until 11. That very well could have been a huge part also. I'm used to sleeping by myself, with him working nights and all. And with him in the bed and then all the cats running all over me I got no sleep.

Did the grocery shopping in the afternoon. Went to Sam's club also. Sam's has some kick ass stuff for Christmas but with us being poor I can't have anything. Oh well.

Oh yeah, the agency had called me Tuesday and asked if I'd go back to the one place again, I agreed to go on Thursday. So that's what I did today. I worked from 9 to 2 and filed again. This place files per job numbers. Everything starts with 19, 20 or 21. There was a wall of filing cabinets. 8 cabinets, 4 drawers each (the wide kind, not the skinny kind). Every one but the last 3 drawers in the 8th cabinet were used. On Monday I had noticed that there were a few files out of order. Donna, the chick I reported too also knew this and asked me today if I would put them in order. It took me 45 minutes to do this, that's how bad they were. I honestly didn't notice before that it was that bad. On Monday there had been 3 very large stacks (a good foot and half to two feet tall) of papers that needed filing. I was only able to file away maybe a quarter of them. Today, after putting things right I got rid of almost all of them, plus all the new things that needed filing in the last 2 days.

So because I've been so busy during the day I wasn't able to keep up with my blog/journal reading. I only did a very small perusel of some of the blogs/journals the last couple of days and played catch up this afternoon. It's taken me many hours to catch up but I feel better now. I was going through withdrawals. What's gonna happen when I finally get a job and It's a real one, one I can't stop by these places. Nevermind, I don't want to think of that now. Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts.

Media quote of the day: As patriotic citizens, it is our duty! According to the Chief Elder, times are only bad if we think they're bad. So we should fill our heads with happy thoughts, and our nation will prosper! - "Dinosaurs" (1991) Earl Sinclair

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny isn't it, I did this one and it says I have a Southern Accent. Who'dathunkit? I live in Georgia! he he he

Katrina said...

I was hoping for some other type of questions than just how you pronounce words. Such as: ya'll vs. you guys, ya know stuff like that too. Oh well, it was still fun to take.

Anonymous said...

I got midland which mans I don't really have an accent. I know that I grew up in MN saying pop but when I decided to go to college in NY trained myself to say soda because I didn't want to get laughed at.

Katrina said...

Yeah, that's how I finally got to saying ya'll in Louisiana. Especially to the girls because saying you guys to girls there just didn't work. They didn't appreciate it.

So now that's practically all I say, although you guys does slip out occasionally.