Friday, November 26, 2010

My puppy is all tuckered out from Thanksgiving Day

So Wednesday night and Thanksgiving day went well. We got out of work at 3:30 on Wednesday and rather than go straight to the store to start getting cookie ingredients I decided to go home to see if HDT would like to come with me. But he made a good point. He asked if we had any plans for the rest of the day and I said other than making some cookies no we had no plans. He said since we wouldn't be seeing his grandma on Thursday and it's been such a long time since we have seen her that we should take her out to dinner. I agreed and he called her up to make sure she hadn't eaten yet. Then about 15 minutes later she calls back to say that his mom would be coming over there soon 'cause she's staying the night in preparation of the next day and wanted to know if we would be ok if she came as well. So of course I said that would be just fine. We picked them up and took 'em to dinner. After that we went back to the house so HDT could have a slice of pecan pie, his favorite.

Thursday I got up at 9:00 and started gathering everything that would be needed to take to mom's and just as I was getting in the shower HDT woke up. We decided to take our new tv over to her house since it's bigger than hers and would be easier for people to see in different parts of the rooms for football watching. Especially since the Saints would be playing that afternoon. Kind of funny but it looks bigger in her house than ours. But that would make sense, we're so used to seeing a huge tv where it's sitting now and also the the big empty wall behind that was mostly taken up before.

So while HDT watched the Lions game mom and I tooled around the kitchen with Poydras following me around the whole time. Every time I told him to go to Papa he'd run over to HDT and jump in his lap but he'd still follow me with his eyes the whole time. And he'd only stay there for a few minutes. Silly dog.

The rest of the family got there just before 2:00 except for Wayne and his family, they were going to his MIL's house for dinner. We sat down to eat just after 2:30 and everything was really really good. The white meat was very moist. HDT hit it on the head, he said it just fell apart in the mouth like fish does it was that moist. I made green beans with toasted almonds. I've never toasted almonds so was a bit worried but they turned out just fine which is good cause one of the cookies I'm thinking of making calls for toasted almonds.

We were all done eating just in time for the Saints game. I helped mom start to clean up but when we got down to the time of packing up the food and finishing cutting up the turkey she told me to go sit and enjoy the game cause she had to think about how she'd pack it all up anyway so it'd just be easier for her to do it herself. So that's what I did.

At half time HDT got ready to leave for work since he had to work overtime 6:00-10:00. Although it was just 5:00 he wanted to be there early enough to be able to get the game up on the tv before the 2nd half started. We texted back and forth about what was going on. I hate, hate, hate when Brees throws long and sure enough he threw one and it got intercepted. But then with just 4:00 minutes or so left he threw another one and this time it was caught by our guy. Without it we probably would'nt have won the game. Besides the fact that Malcolm Jenkins took a ball right out of a Cowboy's hands for a terrific turnover. Which set up Brees to be able to make that long ass throw.

Wayne and his family showed up about the middle of the 3rd quarter. Mom visited with them while the rest of us finished watching the game. After that we turned the tv off and headed to the basement where a tournament was going on at the pool table. While that was happening we set up the the Pictionary game and the rest of us played that. We took a break at the beginning of the 2nd game cause several of the kids were saying they were hungry. Just about everyone grabbed something to eat and I took Poydras out one more time as well.

But pretty much just after we had resumed the game Scott says he and his kids would have to be leaving real soon because he had to have his two back to their mom by 10:00. Drives me up the wall it does, but whatever. So yeah, they left and the rest of did our name draw for Christmas having mom and Wayne's kids standing in for Scott, his wife and HDT. After that we cleaned up the game stuff and we headed out for the night. HDT called me on his way home to see how soon I'd be leaving, let him know I was packing up the truck then and would be home soon.

By the time I got there he was in bed already but not asleep so we chatted some while I was washing up and getting ready to join him. Poydras had been up all day, from the time I got up to the time we got home. He's like any dog, sleeps a lot during the day but yesterday he didn't take a nap at all. I could tell he was tired and cranky but he refused to just settle down and take a nap. When I got home I let him in the house first then started unloading the truck. After I was finished with that and feeding the cats I headed to the bathroom to start washing up and I glance in the bedroom and he's already curled up between HDT's legs ready for sleep. Too funny.

Then this morning I have to coax him out of bed to go outside. He did his usual thing when he came in, went straight to his food bowl waiting for breakfast. I put the cats' food in their bowls and turn to put his in his bowl and he's not there anymore. I call him and I hear him come trotting in from the bedroom. He sits down in front his bowl and I tell him to eat his breakfast but he just keeps sitting there looking at me. As I'm walking around doing my morning ritual he still just sits there watching me. Then next thing I see is him trotting into the bedroom to go back to bed. He didn't even eat one morsel of food. That is one tired puppy. By the time I go home for lunch he should be mostly rested up and ready for breakfast.
Media quote of the day: two from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (tv show) which I use quite a damn bit. And whats funny is that both are from my beloved Spike, he seems to have a thing for puppies.

I'm saying that Spike had a little trip to the vet, and now he doesn't chase the other puppies anymore - Spike - Pangs (1999)

What's this? Sittin' around watching the telly while there's evil still afoot? It's not very industrious of you. I say we go out there and kick a little demon ass! What? Can't go without your Buffy, is that it? Too chicken? Let's find her. She is the chosen one, after all. Come on! Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate them, for justice, and for... the safety of puppies... and Christmas, right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something! Oh, come on! - Spike from Doomed (2000)

No comments: