Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I don't wanna be a bum

So yesterday was Fat Tuesday and a few weeks ago I ordered two King Cakes from a bakery (which will go unnamed) in New Orleans to have shipped to me here in Illinois for delivery on Monday.  They came and I was very happy that I didn't have to do the frosting and the sugar as I have had to do with cakes in the past. 

I got into work and proceeded to make a nice set up on one of the tables in the kitchen.  Each of the cakes came with several beads, doubloons, a packet chicory coffee and a booklet about Mardi Gras. I decorated around both cakes with them all.  Angry with myself that I didn't take a picture of it; it looked really nice too.  Anyway, everyone who had a piece liked it so that was good.

But I was very disappointed because one of them was supposed to be filled with german chocolate filling.  It was even labeled as such so I know the bakery knew it was supposed to be.  But there wasn't one part of it that was filled.  Not. One. Bit.  The top was a little different than the other one.  It had some kind of topping with chopped nuts thrown in on it.  But no filling.  We of course still ate it and still enjoyed it but still.

So at the end of the work day yesterday I sent the bakery an email letting them know the situation.  I also sent them pictures to back it up.  It's been almost 24 hours since and I haven't received a reply.  I have a feeling I won't be getting one. 

I feel the same way that I did at Christmas time about the tree, I'm not expecting them to do anything about it but it sure would be nice to receive an apology at least.  But I'm not getting my hopes up, that's for sure.  At least it didn't cost more than the plain one.

But what actually bugs me even more than the mix up and not hearing back from them is that someone (and I believe I know who) threw the last few pieces of it away.  When I was writing the email I figured I should send a picture of the label showing that it should be a chocolate filled caked.  So I go into the kitchen and grab it and scan it in.  Then as I'm writing some more I think, well I'll send them a picture to show what I'm talking about.  So I go back to the kitchen to take the pictures (only about 4 minutes since the last time I was in there) and the table is cleared off.  No cake.  I open the fridge thinking this person wrapped the last few pieces up and put them away.  Nope, fridge is empty of cake.  I look around on the counter. Nope, counter is empty of cake.  The boxes they came in are still on top of the cabinets exactly where I had just put them minutes before.  So, I look in the garbage and there they are sitting as pretty as can be right on top.  I had to take the one piece out to get the pictures. 

It just pisses me off.  As mentioned they knew who brought them why the hell not come and ask me if I'd like to take the last bit home?  Hell, why not just wrap them up and put 'em in the fridge?  Why the hell ya gotta throw 'em away?  They were $45.00 a piece, not that they knew that but still!!!  As I told HDT, I could have taken them out and taken them home.  They were still on top of the cardboard that they were shipped on with nothing else surrounding them.  It's not like they were contaminated in any way.  But it's still knowing they were taken back out of the garbage can that would be bugging me about it all.  It'd be George Castanza all over again.  No thank you.

Media quote of the day: From the Seinfeld Episode: The Gymnast

So let me get this straight. You find yourself in the kitchen. You see an éclair in the receptacle... and you think to yourself: "What the hell, I'll just eat some trash."  - Jerry

No, no, no. It was not trash. - George
Was it in the trash? - Jerry
Yes. - George
Then it was trash. - Jerry
It wasn't down in. It was sort of on top. - George
But it was in the cylinder.  - Jerry
Above the rim. - George
Adjacent to refuse is refuse. - Jerry
It was on a magazine, and it still had the doily on. - George
Was it eaten? - Jerry
One little bite. - George
Well, that's garbage. - Jerry
But I know who took the bite. It was her aunt. - George
You, my friend, have crossed the line that divides man and bum. You are now a bum. - Jerry

No comments: