Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sad day in Chicago for the New Orleans Saints

Well, the Saints lost but we still had a good time. It was very cold but at the same time we were lucky enough to be under the second tier seats so we were out of the falling snow and winds. We had a few hecklers but at the same time most of the people were pretty cool.

The snow started early morning. When I got up at 6a.m. to feed the cats there was already about 1/4" on the ground. By the time we left to go pick up some hiking boots from my mom for me to wear rather than my tennis shoes there was a good inch, maybe a little more on the ground. But at least it wasn't snowing then. We decided to switch vehicles and came back home and took H Ditty's 4 wheel drive instead. We were leaving a little later than we wanted to but then we found out that the guy we got the tickets from called the guy we were going with to say that he had one more ticket for us. A parking ticket. Which saved us a lot of time because they were under the stadium!! That my friends was just too damn cool. This same ticket was going for $250.00 on line. Our seating tickets were going for $1,300.00 to close to $3,000.00 a piece. Yeah, we were damn lucky to be there.

It was very nice to see so many Who Dats walking around. Usually when we go to a game I play "spot the Saints fan" and it's not very easy. Most of the time I need to use the binoculars to find them. Not this time, they were just about everywhere. Including sitting right next to me, two of them showed up. They said they were very glad to see us. They weren't wearing any Saints stuff though because they were a little worried about the Bears fans.

The couple sitting directly behind us were Bears fans and the guy said he was worried sitting on the visitors side with a lot of Saints fans and what we would do. But we all were "really cool" he said.

The game itself was fun and sad to watch. It was pretty exciting. Up until that damn safety. The momentum just seemed to go out of the Saints. They just couldn't recover it seemed like. The Bears played a great game, they showed up to play. I don't know what happened to the Saints. It truly seemed like they weren't there. The drive right before halftime looked like they finally showed up. Right after halftime they were there and then the safety happened and they were gone again.

The run by Reggie shut a lot of people up though. We were screaming our heads off. My throat is still a little sore from all the screaming. Not just for that run though, there were plenty of other times we were a hollerin.

We stood the entire time because most of the people in our section stood for the entire time. Except for two plays the people never sat during the game and only rarely any other time. I'd sit from time to time during time outs or changing sides at the quarter endings. I have bad knees and my left foot is fucked up (I need to go see a doctor about it) so I had to sit every now and then. I was pretty stiff after our drive home. But I took some Aleve and except for the one part on my left foot I feel much better.

I bought a pennant. Don't know where we'll put it, maybe no where on display. It might end up with a lot of other Saints stuff in storage. But at least it's for the NFC Championship, showing both our teams helmets and their names.

After the game we stayed behind to see the couple interviews with Grossman and Urlacher and then Lovie Smith getting the trophy. There were only a few Saints fans left after it was all done. I at first thought we were it but we saw a few there. Most people were pretty cool. We got a few "Go home"s and "Who Dats?" thrown back at us. But for the most part people were telling us "good game" and meaning it, "hell of a season," "next year," "have a safe trip home." I only corrected one person on that one and he asked that since we're from here will we be rooting for the Bears in the Superbowl or not. I told him that of course we would be. That I'm a Bears fan, just not as much as a Saints fan, nowhere near as much, but still a fan.

Hell, we'll probably have a Superbowl party and it'll definitely be Bears City up in here.

Anyway, we'll be back next year. I have faith in our team. They just have to do something about the defense. They gotta train harder and maybe get a new player or two.

I'm proud of them. They came back from such a deficit last year. No one expected this much of a turn around and for them to make it all the way to the championship game is just awesome.

Nonmedia quote of the day: "Go Saints!" and "Who Dat!" heard all over the stadium today and it was wonderful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the game hoping that the Saints would win. It looked really cold out there. I'm glad you had fun.

Foofa said...

It was a very fun game to watch. You're right about the safety being a turning point of the game. I kept watching and seeing snow and then looking out my window a mere 11 miles away and not seeing any. It was strange. Glad you had other Saints fans nearby!

saintseester said...

Hey girl,
I am glad you had fun in spite of the weather and the loss. I hope you enjoy your party should you have one for the superbowl.

Katrina said...

Thanks ya'll. We really did have a good time. I probably had a bit more fun then HD since he's only a Saints fan. Not that he's anti Bears, he just doesn't consider himself a fan.

The weather really wasn't bad, at least not for us since we were under that 2nd level. Only our toes were cold, not freezing like most peoples.

We ended up not doing a sign like we planned which ended up being a good idea not to. The cameras were only on the other side of the field and since we were under that 2nd tier we wouldn't have been seen anyway.

I can't wait until next year!