Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sucky memories

So my weekend went pretty well. Friday night after work we were both pretty tired. We watched some recorded shows and then were in bed by 9:30. He had to go to work and I slept in until about 10:30. That felt extremely good.

Did a little catching up on my blog/journal reading. Then had to get ready to go to my mom and stepdad's for his 80th birthday. Had a good time, it was just his kids and my mom's, no grandchildren. So it was a nice adult evening. HD came over after he got out of work and visited until he had to get home to go to sleep for the next day's work. I didn't leave until about 11:30.

Today was a lazy day for the most part. Almost finished catching up with the blog/journal reading. I got to everyone's site that I actually have listed on my blogroll. Now I just have to get to the few people I haven't listed yet. They're on my favorites on my computer but since my computer crashed I have to get to them through other means and I just haven't done that yet. Not sure if I'll be able to do so today or not but I definitely plan on doing so over the next few days. I did some dishes and then watched An American Haunting. This movie is based on a real life haunting in Tennessee of the Bell Witch. I remember reading about it not long after The Blair Witch movie came out. They're totally unrelated by the way. So when this movie came out last year I was interested in seeing but never got around to it until now. It was ok but I don't recommend it unless you're out of good movie ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------

On to my thoughts that I had rattling around in my head the other day that I mentioned.

24 I've decided not to go into now other than to say... Wow is this a great show or what. Totally threw me for a loop about one of the bad guys from last year. Don't want to say any more than that in case some of you haven't watched it yet.

Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It is highly recommended. Some of the promos make it look like a child's fairy tale movie but it's rated R so there's no way in hell a child should see this movie. Now a lot of R movies young teens can see because the swearing or violence is so over the top that they easily see it as all theatrics. This movie is set during Spain's civil war around 1944. A young girl of 12 or 13 is going with her pregnant mother to her new stepfather's base. The baby is his and he believes a son should be born where his father is so this is why they're (EDIT: I don't know how many times I reread this damn post and didn't catch the misspelling of they're until just now - 10:51pm 1-29-07. I had it as their for those of you who didn't know before. Sad, just sad it is.) going into the woods where (EDIT: Damn, did it again, had this as we're. I'm going to have to quit posting when I'm tired. Or just learn not to care. HA! Like that's ever gonna happen.) the army is fighting the last rebels. The captain is ruthless. The stuff he does to captured people is brutal. This is stuff that has happened in real life so no over the top stuff going on here as far as this part of the movie is concerned. It made me cringe a few times and I don't easily cringe. Hence why I don't think young teens or even mid teens should see this.

Most of the parts with the young girl though are absolutely terrific. They're twisted and somewhat beautiful. She is supposedly a princess from an underground world and she has to do three tasks to be able to go back to that world. There's a faun that's helping her and trust me this faun is so completely different from the faun in Narnia. He's a bit scary but at the same time nice. The ending is one of those that lets you decide what you want to believe. The "real" story or the "fairytale" story. Or as I said to HD, I believe both stories happened.

It's not based on any real life tales or anything, don't get me wrong, it's just a good screenplay that makes you think.

Memories that you wish you didn't have. As listed in my 100 things, I was married once before. I don't have and never did have proof that he cheated on me but I did have at one time evidence that he wanted to. Before finding a letter written to a coworker of his for my proof I had feelings and thoughts. I got these feelings and thoughts after having lunch with him and the coworker one day. He just kept talking about her to me almost as if she wasn't there. It was about her likes and dislikes and quirky habits and such. Now of course you find some of this stuff out from coworkers as time passes, whether you want to or not. So it wasn't that that had me bothered. It was the way he said these things.

But one of them has stuck with me all these years later and I really and truly wish they'd leave my brain. It's been close to 13 years since I learned this shit, it needs to go the fuck away! I was told half by him and half by her that she's afraid of driving under train tracks while a train is on them. It doesn't matter if the train is moving or just sitting there. If she's driving along and the road happens to go under train tracks and there's a train there she will pull over to the side of the road or turn on to a side road if there's one available and wait until the train passes. If it's sitting there and stays that way for any length of time and she's in a hurry she'll turn around and go another way. She's scared that the train will miraculously tip over and fall on her.

It was a funny and quirky tidbit at the time but now it's an annoying motherfucking memory that won't go the fuck away. And what makes it all the worse is that I drive under tracks every single fucking work day and if I go out during the weekend then I do it then too. So it's twice, sometimes 3 times a day depending on how I come home from work and 2 - 4 times depending on where I'm going to do my shopping over the weekend. (There's two sets of tracks that cross the main road that I drive on every day.)

If I'm in a conversation with someone or singing a song or listening intently to some "wacky" morning show stuff I might get away without remembering it. But that doesn't happen too often. And it never ever works when a train is actually going over or sitting there. The image of us 3 sitting at that damn restaurant table and me being told about it pops into my head. I cannot even relate to you how much it sucks, it sucks that bad!

So do you have any sucky memories?


Media quote of the day: I've just been down the gullet of an interstellar cockroach. That's one of a hundred memories I don't want. Kay - Men in Black

6 comments:

Dan said...

Now I just have to get to the few people I haven't listed yet.

And why aren't those people on your blogroll?? :)

13 hours of sleep sounds pretty awesome to me. I do my best writing while asleep.

I wish I could take a pill and get rid of some of my memories. The trick is to simply not follow the thought when they pop in your head. We fuel bad memories by going with them and playing them through when there's every reason not to.

Foofa said...

I reall really eally want to see Pan's Labyrinth. You made me want to see it even more. I have a bad memory so everything I remember is either really good or really bad.

Katrina said...

Dan - Because I am the Queen of Procrastination. That's why they're (you're) not on my list yet. But I'll get them (you) all there. That includes Natalie too.

Which by the way, don't know if either of you have gone to the others site yet or not but you're both weird, I mean, veggie people. Hee.

I've tried that, not letting the thought process go on and it's worked sometimes but most of the time it doesn't. Because it'll go away for a bit then as soon as the new thought is done it comes right back. That's why when I'm nearing these tracks I usually concentrate on whatever song is on at the moment.

Natalie - You really, really, really need to go see it, you will not be disappointed. It's one that will be bought the day it comes out. I wouldn't mind going and seeing in the theater again. One because it's that good and two because there were 2 guys that were talking throughout the whole damn thing to eachother and bugging the ever loving shit out of me. So I'd like to see it on the big screen again, and it's definitely one of those movies that's great to see that way, without all the extra noise.

Katrina said...

Natalie - by the way did you see the media quote from the post before. Most if not all has been put into some commercials & promos but I don't think all together. That's how the movie starts out.

Anonymous said...

How awesome is 24 this season (per usual)?!?!?!?!?!?! I swear Keifer Sutherland gets hotter every hour.

PAN'S LABYRINTH has been on my must see list for a while, but I'm still waiting for it to make it around these parts. God bless the sticks.

I get stuff stuck in my head like that all the time and it is so damn annoying.

Katrina said...

It's totally awesome!! We haven't seen this last Monday's ep yet but probably tonight or tomorrow night we will. We watched Hero's instead last night, which is also a totally awesome show. I feel so 80's right now.

And Keifer, hubba hubba. I can't help looking at that chest and flat stomach instead of his face half the time. Don't even get me started on his shoulders.

You must must go see Pan's however you can. It's such a beautiful, quirky, loving, horrific, shocking and sad movie. And other descriptives I can't think of right now.

Bad, bad memories, they need to go away. I was rockin' out to Local H on my home tonight so no thoughts this time.